// FILEX Presenter Profile: Ingrid Owen, VP 24 Hour Fitness, US

Club Network took 10 minutes out of Ingrid Owen’s busy day to get the lowdown on this international fitness presenter and businesswoman ahead of her presentations at FILEX 2012.

Occupation and fitness qualifications
I am the vice president of fitness for 24 Hour Fitness. I have degrees in accounting and exercise physiology, as well as certifications from ACE and AFAA in the US. I have worked in the industry for 20 years, starting as a group fitness instructor and personal trainer in 1989. I have been with 24 Hour Fitness as an instructor, as well as a club operator since 1995.

Where are you based?

I live and work in the Bay area of San Francisco.

What is your main role in the fitness industry?
I oversee the group fitness team, the personal trainers and our youth fitness programming for 24 Hour Fitness.

How did you get into this industry and how did you arrive at where you are today in your career?
I started as a group instructor while in college and once I graduated, I transitioned into full time fitness, overseeing a small chain of clubs on the east coast. I moved to California in 1995 and started with 24 Hour Fitness as an instructor. I spent seven years running clubs, working my way to vice president of operations before moving into a corporate role supporting field operations. I moved into my current role overseeing fitness in 2009.

Describe your typical day
I spend 80 per cent of my time in the corporate office with my team, working on supporting our field teams strategically, operationally and with analytics that help drive the business. The other 20 per cent of the time I’m in the field working with the trainers, instructors and field managers ensuring we maintain our focus on providing a high end fitness experience for our members.

What skills are needed in your role?
Credibility as a fitness professional, strategic mind set to move the business forward and a collaborative attitude within the industry. The ability to persuade, inspire and positively influence people to create the fitness career they want is also important.

What are the best and worst aspects of your job?
Not a lot is in my direct control. That can be frustrating at times, but also a relief! The ability to persuade and influence is critical and very rewarding.

What has been your greatest career challenge to date?
Taking on the entire fitness team of 10,000 instructors and trainers at 24 Hour Fitness has been an incredible gratifying challenge. The group team manages over 65,000 classes with an average of two million member touches every month! The trainers service over 250,000 sessions every month. It’s a huge machine, providing fitness to a member base of almost four million people.

And your greatest highlight?
Being successful at the above! As well as being able to pursue my goals as an instructor and become a BODYPUMP presenter/trainer for Les Mills. I love being able to represent 24 Hour Fitness as a fitness professional!

What’s your main focus now, and what are your goals for the future?
To share the education and experience I have regarding the fitness industry, and to continue making 24 Hour Fitness the best place to ‘find your fitness’.

Who has inspired you in your fitness industry career, and why?
I am inspired every day by the team I represent. They bring fitness to so many in a way that is accessible and fun. It might sound silly, but I can honestly say I am inspired every day! Truth is, anyone who has the courage to declare their goals and go after them is incredibly inspiring to me. My mentors? Jay Blahnik, Chalene Johnson, Carl Liebert (CEO of 24 Hour Fitness), Steve Renata. All of these folks have supported my passion for fitness in many ways... for which I’m very grateful.

What are you most looking forward to about visiting Australia and presenting at FILEX 2012?
This is my first trip to Australia, and as one of the places I’ve always wanted to visit, I’m very excited! FILEX has a reputation as being one of the most exciting industry conventions in the world – I’m thrilled to be able to bring my experience and knowledge to this international ensemble.

Gain the benefit of Ingrid’s extensive business know-how by attending her sessions at FILEX 2012. Choose from:

  • Develop your fitness dream team ● A3B
  • Grow your membership with the power of group ex ● B2C
  • The power of one: building a member service culture, one person at a time ● B4B
  • Integrating resources for business success ● C1B

For more information on Ingrid’s sessions see pages 18, 19 and 20 of the printed brochure with your Summer Network magazine, or check out the fully interactive site at www.filex.com.au where you can also register for the convention or the all-inclusive Business Gold Pass package.