Stuffed brekkie avos and sweet potato bread
The Healthy Chef Teresa Cutter delves into the pages of her new plant-based cookbook to share two recipes that will transform your brekkies and brunches this spring.
Stuffed avocado with scrambled eggs
I’m a huge fan of scrambled eggs as they are rich in protein, B vitamins, and essential minerals such as selenium that help to nourish a healthy metabolism. Avocados provide the perfect base in this dish. Enjoy caressed with fresh herbs and sea salt.
- 2 avocados, cut in half and stone removed
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 6 organic eggs
- pinch of sea salt
- fresh herbs to garnish
- Arrange avocados onto a serving dish.
- Melt butter in a non-stick pan over a medium heat.
- Break eggs into a bowl then gently combine with a fork.
- Add eggs to the pan, mixing through lightly with a spatula.
- Stir gently until the eggs become creamy.
- Remove pan from the heat immediately (you don’t want to overcook your eggs).
- Spoon eggs into the avocado shells, then sprinkle with sea salt.
- Garnish with your choice of herbs.
- Serve and enjoy.
Notes and inspiration: Serve alongside cucumber ribbons and a squeeze of lime. For a vegan option, fill avocado with scrambled organic silken tofu.
Sweet potato bread
Sweet potatoes are a healthy low GI vegetable high in beta-carotene, the precursor to vitamin A – important for eye and skin health. They make the most magnificent breads and are delicious caressed with a little rosemary or fresh thyme.
Makes 1 loaf
- 450g grated raw sweet potato with the skin, plus extra for garnish
- 4 organic eggs
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 60ml (¼ cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 300g (3 cups) almond meal
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- hint of rosemary, sage or thyme
- Preheat your oven to 160°C fan-forced.
- Combine sweet potato, eggs, salt and olive oil into a bowl.
- Add the almond meal and baking powder and mix well.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper at the base and the sides.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin.
- Decorate the bread with shavings of sweet potato drizzled in a little olive oil and sea salt over the top.
- Bake for 1 hour until cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest in the tin for 1 hour before removing from the tin.
- Cool and enjoy.
Notes and inspiration: Toast slices of the bread and drizzle with almond butter or top with smashed avocado.
These recipes are from Teresa Cutter’s new plant-based cookbook ‘Earth To Table’ ($49.95). Pre-order available now. Official release scheduled for early October.
Founder of The Healthy Chef, Teresa is an author, nutritionist and classically trained chef. You can find more tips and recipes on her website, Healthy Recipes App, eBooks, Facebook and Instagram.