This combination of delicate protein, fresh herbs and warming spices makes for a beautifully fragrant and satisfying dish that’s equally perfect as a weekend lunch or a quick weeknight dinner. Recipe courtesy of Teresa Cutter, The Healthy Chef.
- 1 tablespoon fresh galangal or ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon turmeric, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- generous pinch of ground black pepper
- 2 x 200g white fish fillets (wild snapper or any white fish of your choice)
- 1 lime
- 1 bunch coriander – leaves and stalk finely chopped
- ¼ cup water or coconut water (if braising)
- Combine ginger or galangal, turmeric, garlic, tamari, lime juice and olive oil in a bowl. For a smoother paste, I love using my mortar which combines the ingredients perfectly.
- Fold in the finely chopped coriander root.
- Add the fish fillet and coat well.
- Wrap the fish individually using baking paper, foil, or banana leaf. Make sure it’s well sealed and shaped into a lovely neat little pocket.
- Place the wrapped fish in a steamer, steam for 10 minutes until cooked through and remove from the heat.
- Serve immediately with your choice of salad or vegetables.
Notes and inspiration: Feel free to use saffron in place of turmeric. Add monte au beurre or coconut cream right at the end for a richer, more decadent sauce. Vegetarians can use organic silken tofu or tempeh in place of the fish. You can also wrap the fish in banana leaf if you can get it, making for a beautiful presentation. If you don’t have a steamer, you can also braise the fish in a frypan, adding a little splash of coconut water and then adding a lid to enhance the steaming effect.
Photography by Paul Cutter. Recipe from the Healthy Chef App. Visit the Apple Store to download and start a free 7-day trial.
Founder of The Healthy Chef, Teresa is an award-winning and classically-trained chef, author, nutritionist and fitness professional. You can find more recipes, tips and products on her NEW Healthy Chef App, website, cookbooks, eBooks, Facebook and Instagram. thehealthychef.com / facebook.com/healthychefteresacutter / instagram.com/teresacutter_healthychef