Teresa Cutter, The Healthy Chef, shares her recipe for a warming custard to make you glow with happiness this Winter.
A touch of pure maple syrup enhances this custard without being overly sweet, but the most joyous inclusion is the creamy Mandolé Orchard almond milk, which gives this custard a luxuriously silky texture.
1 bunch rhubarb, leaves discarded, stems
washed and chopped
juice from 1 orange
2 teaspoons vanilla bean extract
2 tablespoons organic maple syrup
ALMOND MILK CUSTARD
500ml Mandolé Orchard almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of nutmeg
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or honey
2 organic eggs, lightly beaten (see notes)
1 tablespoon cornflour or rice flour
- Preheat your oven to 180°C fan-forced.
- Combine rhubarb, vanilla, orange juice and maple syrup into a baking dish.
- Cook for 20 minutes until soft, then remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile, combine almond milk for the custard in a saucepan with vanilla, nutmeg and maple syrup over a gentle heat until almost boiling, then remove from the heat.
- Beat the eggs and cornflour in a mixing bowl until creamy.
- Pour in the hot milk mixture and whisk in well, then transfer the mixture back into a saucepan over gentle heat.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until it thickens and coats the back of the spoon, then remove from the heat.
- Serve rhubarb topped with the delicious custard and enjoy!
Notes and inspiration: for a vegan custard, omit eggs and replace them with 1 more tablespoon of cornflour or rice flour. Add a pinch of turmeric for a hint of colour.
Photography by Paul Cutter. Recipe from the Healthy Chef App. Visit the Apple Store to download and start a free 7-day trial.
Founder of The Healthy Chef, Teresa is an award-winning and classically-trained chef, author, nutritionist and fitness professional. You can find more recipes, tips and products on her NEW Healthy Chef App, website, cookbooks, eBooks, Facebook and Instagram. thehealthychef.com / facebook.com/healthychefteresacutter / instagram.com/teresacutter_healthychef